Laptop computer vs. Desktop computer
- A laptop will give you annual computer-related energy savings of as much as 50% over a desktop. For additional savings, enable the sleep mode on your laptop after five minutes of inactivity.
- Check the energy efficiency of new desktops / laptops when buying.
- Enable the power management function on your computer; the screensaver does not save energy.
- Screensavers with movement can use more energy than the computer itself!
- Check if your computer supports the more advanced Speedstep™ power management.
- Switching off a computer extends its lifetime, contrary to some misconceptions. This is a practical way to cut 200 kWh/y or more of standby losses.
- Leaving a computer running the whole year will cost you more than 1,000 kWh/y, or almost as much as the total electricity consumption of a high-efficiency household.
- Use one large power strip for your computer, broadband modem, scanner, printer, monitor, and speakers. This will make it easier to switch off all appliances when not in use.
- Minimise your printing. Laser printers use more electricity than inkjet printers.